We had such a wonderful holiday season. I'm not sure why this year seemed different to me, but I felt such a spiritual connection to those who I knew were in need. Maybe because it's the first year I'm not sleep deprived, pregnant or nursing during the holidays that I felt promptings with such clarity. I hope this comes out the right way...let me just say I know Heavenly Father knows our names because he told me some pretty specific things to do for very specific people. I don't remember a Christmas when I felt more instrumental and happy than 2009.
First our state had a state-wide fast for all of the unemployed and families who are suffering. Our Bishop got up that Sunday and bore his testimony about why we not only needed to fast, but to pay a generous fast offering. Joe and I were touched and we decided to forgo Christmas pretty much and put it all in fast offering. Less than a week later, a secret santa mailed us a gift card for double the amount we had put in the fast offering. We were immediately blessed and felt the need to help someone else. We found little ways to help others with food and clothes or things I could sew and the promptings just kept coming. What had I done wrong before that I wasn't this in tune? Am I so wrapped up in being busy, I forget what makes me happy?
It was the most wonderful feeling to have a "mission". A few days later someone put money in our door for our Christmas. It seemed like no matter how much we gave to others, it came back to us. I bear witness that as we served, the Lord blessed us.
Joe bought me a digital camera and some fun things for the kids. We spent so much time learning how to use the camera at Christmas and all of its cool functions that Joe took over 2000 pictures. That's why it's so daunting. I only mention it so I can thank our Secret Santas, as we have already thanked Heavenly Father. We love you and thank you primarily for helping us have this wonderful experience.
Our families made Christmas really special for us and our kids at Christmas. It was so fun to see them get so excited about a few simple things. Alexa is wearing her "Princess Cape" and all 6 pairs of her Princess big girl underwear. She also carts around her new purse everywhere and puts literally everything in it. Joe opened it the other night and found a bunch of puzzle pieces, 2 little books, 4 magnets, a pair of doll shoes, and about 5 pieces of hotdog. He frightfully asked me when the last time we had hotdogs was and luckily she just finished eating them at the table. I thought she ate them all and was super impressed...
You can find Rook in Radiator Springs most days of the week...
Christmas was a wonderful time to celebrate with family and friends. We appreciate all the love and support we feel from them. Since we didn't get Christmas Cards out again this year...that is our goal for 2010. We appreciate all the cards we did receive from friends. Please know we love you and haven't forgotten about you!
3 comments:
What amazing blessings and faith. You will probably always remember this Christmas as one of the best ones.
Alexa in big girl underwear? What?!? I told you your kids are advanced.
I love the Radiator Springs set up...is that a lego set? Ethan would DIE for it. More details please!
Congrats on the new camera. I know all about thousands of photos...Mark can't put his camera down.
Maridyn, you are a great example. Thanks!
And I love your little girl. (Rook is darling too!)
It was so fun to see you guys at Christmas. Too bad we never get to spend enough time together. Thank you for your uplifting Christmas post. Love you guys.
Post a Comment