Friday, November 13, 2009

Rookus Bartookus

Our Rook is called alot of things. Rookie, Rookie Cookie, Rookie Rumple stiltskin, Rookamus, Bartookamus, Rookasaurus, Rookie Boogles, and my Be Happy To-er.
Rook is growing up so fast and I really wanted to get some of his fun things down in the blog.

Rook wakes up early almost every morning, around 6:30. He comes and gets me and says "I had a good sleep mom." Then we go down and he still likes to have milk first thing. I put a movie on for him and I go straight back to bed. I ask him to stay downstairs until I come back down with Alexa. I ask him to please be quiet and go to the bathroom if he needs to. This morning, he came upstairs, into our bedroom and then into our bathroom and went the bathroom. Then he came over to me and said, "I went all by myself and I was so quiet." Tomorrow, I'm going to have to add--use the bathroom downstairs!

Rook loves to play with tools. He will often come downstairs decked out in his Lowe's Apron, goggles, and tools stuffed in every pocket. Then he'll go out in the garage and on his way out he'll say, "I'm gonna go work on the car mom." We rarely have the car, since we only have one and so when he comes back in I say, "How was it?" "Well daddy took the car, so I worked on the stroller". ME--"Thanks bud, that will work so much better now".

Rook is a lego maniac right now. It doesn't help that I keep finding sweet deals at Ross on Lego Cars from the movie. Don't forget about Ross, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx for Christmas. They have great discounts on toys. He LOVES to build different scenes with the sets he has. I have several more to give him for Christmas and I am so excited. He looks at the picture and builds it. While he does it and after he says, "Mom, I did such a great job building this". Me--Yes Rook, you are amazing! And he is!



Rook has really taken pretend to a new level lately. With Halloween he was constantly fighting pretend skeletons. He would tell them to stay upstairs because Alexa was downstairs. Today he he did jump kicks to fight off the pretend monsters. In this picture, Mr Potato Head is coloring a picture for mom. This whole night, Rook was telling Mr. P Head to stop hitting and he even put him in time out. Before he got him out, he sat down next to him and talked to him about being obedient. So at least he gets it, right? Why oh why does he still hit Alexa?


Rook loves to look at pictures of himself. He always says "Who's that cutie, mom?". Me--"I don't know, he kinda looks like dad. Who do you think it is?" "MOM, it's ME!"

Rook also has a very rebellious side right now. He yells NO alot to me. He will deliberately do something I asked him NOT to do as soon as I leave the room. He hit me the other night in a store. He was tired, I'll give him that, but I was so livid it was all I could do to not yell at him and spank him in front of 50 people. I just told him I was very sad with his decision and when we got home something bad was going to happen to him. The rest of the time he just kept asking me "What?" When we got home I made him tell Joe what he did and Joe jumped out of the chair and grabbed Rook and held him right up by his face and said "WE DO NOT HIT OUR MOM. IF YOU DO THAT AGAIN I WILL SPANK YOU LIKE THIS" and then he hit the bed. So for his punishment...I wouldn't read any books to him that night. Is that a bad punishment? I almost said no scripture reading with mom and dad, but I couldn't do that. That would have been really sad for him because he loves it, but I can't take away a commandment, right? So almost everyday since that night when Joe comes home from school, Rook runs over to him and says, "Dad I won't hit mom anymore because I don't want to get a spank like this" and then hits the cushion or whatever object he is near. PLEASE LET IT BE THAT SIMPLE.

I think part of his surge in aggression is a few new movies I let him watch. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...seems harmless, right? Well Mike Teevee yells DIE, DIE to his video game. I couldn't figure out why Rook kept saying DIE and I'm going to DIE YOU mom...Yeah, we don't watch that movie anymore.

We play tennis every Wed night as a family sport night. An idea we stole from my brother Brittyn and his family, thank you very much by the way. Joe was sitting on the couch and he said, "Rook, will you please go upstairs and bring me a pair of white socks out of my top drawer and my tennis shoes from the closet?" "Sure dad, I'd be happy to". We waited patiently downstairs to see what he would get. He brought down one of my trouser socks and no shoes. We had a good laugh. He is so helpful and usually says "I'd be happy to".

At night Rook and Alexa both love to read books with mom. After books, scriptures and prayer Rook will almost ALWAYS say, "mom, will you tickle my neck?" I usually say sure and start, but then he says, "No start down here (bottom of his back) and end on my neck". Where that came from I have no idea. MY favorite is when he gets his dog snuggles and tickles his neck, while having snuggles tickle blue's neck (his other dog). I wish I could take a picture of that.
Oh Rook. We love you and are so glad you came to our family!

3 comments:

trisha said...

Such a great post..love reading about cute Rookie.

Anonymous said...

He's getting so big! I wish I could see him hit the bed:) Those were some cute stories, I enjoyed reading them.

Anna said...

Ethan had an obsession with knives for a while. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. He wanted to play with them all the time. He would say that he wanted to take them outside and write in the trees with the knives. He even snuck up on me one morning with a knife behind his back! (scary, now the knives are up high, out of reach)....well, finally figured out it was from the movie, "Fern Gully". Harmless movie about the rainforest...but a character has a pocket knife, carves the trees and plays around with it. I gave the movie away to a friend after I realized that! :)