Don't let that gloomy face fool you. Rook started to potty train last Friday and he is already pretty much going by himself. I read the book "Toilet Training in Less than a Day" by somebody Azrim and it totally worked for Rook. We had the peeing dolly and he taught her how to pee on the potty and pull up and down her pants, empty the pot, and wash her hands. He even praised her and gave her treats. He of course got to eat them if he said he could be a big boy too and go pee pee on the potty. SO Potty Day was pretty intense and I wasn't sure how successful it would be, but I decided I wasn't buying any more diapers. He had quite a few accidents that first day, but they were really helpful in teaching him to control his bladder and what wet pants meant. Underwear was way too hard for him to pull up and down, so he just wears big pants with elastic waist...warning to those below when he's climbing on the playground...Actually he has been wearing pajama bottoms and they've been working great.
So now it's Tuesday and he's only had 2 accidents and is doing sooo well, I'm so proud of him and a little shocked that it worked so well. Today he had 2 real breakthroughs that kind of capped off the training. He hasn't wanted to poop in the toilet. Everytime he felt the urge, he would suppress it. And then he got plugged up. So...I pumped him full of grape juice and all day today he kept whining that his bum hurt. I told him to just let the poopies out. He said, no, let the Dr do it. (I told him if he didn't poop, we had to go to the Dr and it wouldn't be fun). I told him we would get a light saber at the store if he pooped in the potty. He went over to the potty and pushed hard and out it came. We cheered and clapped and hugged him and he was so proud of himself. That was just round one. Two more times tonight he had major Bowel Movements. I guess that's good too, he got some good practice...and a green light saber. He played all night with it. He even held his pee in walmart until we could get to the super clean bathroom...
That was just the first breakthrough. The second was after we sang and read books, he was in bed with a pull-up. I heard him get up, so I went to his room and he had turned his light on, pulled down his pants and pull-up and had peed all on his own. He has a potty in his bedroom and one downstairs (thanks Lori). I just wanted to hold him so tight. He was so happy. This whole training has been a real bonding experience for us. I can tell he's loving so much attention from me. I just praise him for dry pants now and he doesn't ask for treats. I really am thankful.
Rook has been loving nursery. He comes home and tells us what he learns. He started saying this phrase one day in prayers and we figured out he had learned about the Atonement at Church.
In case you can't understand the video, he says, Thank you Jesus got hurt, that you that Jesus got better. For FHE we do "pick a picture" and he gets to pick a picture from the Gospel Art kit and we explain it. Joe usually does it and soo well. Joe just has that gift for teaching kids that I don't have...and I get to practice daily.
Rook always wants the picture of Jesus getting hurt. I guess he loves the way Joe tells the story, or most likely, he feels the spirit inside and likes it.
Rook is a little obsessive right now with things, like the video shows. HE loves to carry around his Mack trailer with all the cars in it. He loves to watch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. He goes around saying "I have you two!" He also gets our stick for the sliding glass door and tries to jump over it like the song "me old bamboo". His other favorite movie is Kung Fu Panda...and you can guess what kind of trouble he gets in with the stick on that one...
Here is our little baby Alexa starting to crawl forward, finally. She's been going backwards now for a little while. Our Hard floor is a little slippery so she gets frustrated, but is doing so well. Here's just a little snippet. It's nice to put her down and let her go. She has lots of fun entertaining herself and going wherever she wants. Unfortunately she also pulls herself up on things and her favorite thing to pull up on...yep...Rook's toilet.
She just had her 6 month checkup yesterday. She is 16 lbs, 11 oz and 27 inches long. Not to mention that she is so beautiful I can hardly stand it. I love to hold her and squeeze her and blow on her neck and tummy.
12 comments:
That's so great that it worked! I was laughing pretty hard during that video of Rook praying.....It sounds like he has learned how to pray from other people. Also, it just sounded like he was really thankful for the butter! JK, I know what he was saying!
That is so exciting for Rook. Potty training is such a big deal. It is so nice when it is all said and done.
I can't believe how big Alexa is. She is crawling! She is still suppose to be that little newborn. Babies seriously grow WAAAAYYY too fast.
That is awesome that potty training is that easy for you. Madison and I battled it out for 6 months before I gave up and let me mom do it. It took her 1 day, go figure.
Thanks for sending me the email. It was great to catch up on all your comings and goings. Drop in on mine...we're doing a wedding this spring and today our 14th grandchild will be born!
Holy cow! Way to go Rook! What a smart little guy you have... he picked it up real fast! :)
Can't believe Alexa is already on the move! Your kiddos are so cute!
I'm so glad the training went well. I've been thinking about you since you did it wondering how day 2 and 3 and so on went. Isn't it amazing that he goes in the potty and you don't have to change diapers. It took me a week or two for that to sink in.
I am soooo jealous! We finally have Eliza on the potty train. . . after 2 1/2 years! That potty train in one day wouldn't have worked for her--if we want it, she doesn't. I have been working with Isaac, but he just doesn't seem to get when he's gonna pee. He will pee EVERY time we put him on the toilet, but that's it. Ugggg. Congrats! Also, I can't believe Alexa is crawling!!
Congrats on the potty training! That's a big deal!
I started Baby Wise this week and it is what made me decide to move Gavin into his own room. He was napping better and longer in his own crib so I figured he would sleep better at night to! I don't let him cry it out either. He doesn't really cry that much now that he has a routine and know what to expect. It's heaven!
I hope everything is going wonderfully for your family! You and Joe sure make some beautiful kids!
I'm not even close to potty training Miles and I am terrified for when that day comes. I seriously think he would be content pooping in diapers for years to come. When it does I may e-amil you for the name of the book you used. -wendy
I love the title of this post!! So funny and perfect. I'm a little jealous that it was such a quick success for you and Rook! I might have to check out that book when we start potty training Liam. :)
So fun catching up on here!
Maridyn! So fun to hear from you!..and I am going straight to Amazon.com to see if I can find that "Toilet Training in a Day" book by "somebody Azrum"..ha!:-) My goal is to have Charly all taken care of by the time Baby #2 arrives in July.
What? Do you have super-power children?? Rook is potty trained and Alexa is crawling?? I still haven't conquered potty training Ethan and he is 3.5. And well, Paisley is just barely rolling over. I think I need to send my kids on a plane to your house. :) Way to go. It's hard work.
Post a Comment