Sunday, May 15, 2011

Easter 2011

So I know this is a wee bit late, but I had to put in their fun experience. Rook and Alexa had soo much fun dying eggs. We decided 7 would be plenty since they wouldn't eat them and I didn't have alot of eggs...We just put them in salad instead of hiding them around the house.

We did a fun little candy egg and prize hunt with our neighbors the Mendenhalls. It's been a tradition ever since they moved in.





Alexa's favorite prize was her new goggles. Now if I can just get her to put her head in the water at the pool.





Here they are with their masterpieces.

The best part of Easter afternoon was a Smith family tradition that we want to carry-over. I made little baskets out of Rice Crispy treats and put a few candies in them. Then I hid them with clues. The kids clues were pictures--for example


Alexa's first clue was a picture of a Dr.Pepper can. One of her chores everyday is to get dad Dr. Pepper from the garage so she went straight for the garage and found another picture in the fridge outside. It was a fishing pole. SHe ran upstairs to the bathtub and found a picture of a bug. She ran downstairs and said..."mom, do I have any bugs?" I asked her if she had some toy bugs from Grandma Smith, and then she remembered and found her "basket" in the bug container. She was so excited.


Rook's first clue was an ice cream cone. He ran for the freezer and found a picture of some tools. Up to his room where he found a picture of a bike helmet. Out to the garage where he found inside his helmet a picture of a piano...in the piano was his "basket". I know they sound really easy but they did have to think a few times. They were sooo proud of themselves for finding their treats.


Dad's clues were written and were significantly harder. I stumped him almost every time. I guess too hard.


The kids had so much fun that when Grandma and Grandpa Smith got home from England we did baskets and clues for them and the kids helped write them and hide the baskets.


Of course we told them repeatedly what Easter was all about and they never quite got it. Rook's primary lesson was awesome and he came home with a great craft. We had him teach family night the next day and he did a really good job. So maybe something sunk in.

3 comments:

LaurynandJonny said...

I want to carry on that tradition too. It's one of my favorites.....actually, it's one of the only ones I remember! They look so cute holding their eggs:)

Watson Family said...

Juggling 3 kids and a husband studying for the bar is the hardest thing I've ever done....and I am not RS pres. You are Wonder Woman. I know you can do it!!! Go easey on yourself for the first couple months, don't be too critical of your bad mommy days and just close your eyes and walk back up stairs when you see that your kids have dumped out a whole box of Raisin Bran on the kitchen floor, then danced on it while you were nursing the baby:)

The Jones Fam said...

That treasure hunt sounds like fun :) Cute pics of the kiddos :)