I love General Conference. Ever since we were little my parents somehow instilled in us the desire to listen to all the sessions. That probably had something to do with the fact that they made us dress up and head over to the Stake Center in Memphis and sit through all four sessions. We would always ask "why are we the only kids here on Saturday and how come there's only 4 other people"? My parents would just smile and shrug their shoulders.
I remember one time we were particularly bad and we had to sit for 2 hours at home afterwards. No talking or playing or MOVING. Then we had bread and milk for dinner. It actually really helped I think. Some of my mom's punishments seemed harsh to me at the time, but now I understand how important they were to her sanity...and I only have 2 kids.
This past conference really gave me answers to things I had been struggling with. One in particular was President Monson's talk about Gratitude. Being more thankful for what we have and not pining for what he don't have. Also something about loving our children. A couple of talks were about loving our children. One asked the question, "do you like your kids"? And I remember thinking, oh boy, what time of day is it? Are they asleep? I had been feeling bad about my short temper on more than one occasion. I love my kids and the smallest thing would set me off...like having to ask 5 times to get their clothes on and getting their shoes on to go out the door. I am sure being pregnant has a little to do with this, but I hate to blame everything on that.
After hearing conference I decided that was something I could work on. Controlling my temper and emotions a little better and I have seen such a difference in our home. I have successfully not yelled at our kids since conference. And I have noticed that they treat each other better. I find myself biting my tongue alot, but I feel better about that than regretting my words or actions (spanking). My prayers are alot more about gratitude and less about repenting for my treatment of our kids for the day. I'm grateful to have a prophet on the earth today. I know we do.
Now if I could just stop rolling my eyes...
6 comments:
That is quite an accomplishment Mar! I am impressed!
Wait. Go back. Are you pregnant? If yes, did I miss some kind of announcement? I am confused. Can I blame it on pregnancy cause confused is how I feel a lot lately :)
Yelling is a hard habit to break. Especially when you have kids. I remember there was a time when I felt that the only way my kids would know I was serious was if I yelled. With each kid, I have gotten more patient which I feel is a blessing. Now when I hear yelling I tense up. I love feeling like I am in control of a tough situation with my kids by not yelling. Way to go on such a wonderful accomplishment! Your home will feel more peaceful because of it.
Yeah! A Maridyn post...loved it. Where have you been? I've been wondering how your pregnancy is going. Sounds like it's going well!
Welcome back!
Way to go Maridyn on your goals. It is really inspiring especially when you are stuck inside with little kids all day. It's a hard stage of life! :)
I need to follow your example and set a similar goal.
It is good to know that I am not the only mom who struggles with these things! You have inspired me to try harder myself!
LOL on the rolling eyes comment. I'm super impressed that you haven't yelled at your kids for like 4 months, and you're pregnant. Seriously, that is awesome.
I think you are great!
Post a Comment