My friend Meshan teaches a Ready Readers Preschool where she focuses on reading and music and she asked me if I wanted to watch her baby 4 days a week and Rook could come for free. I was really glad she offered and am excited to see Rook grow and learn. He already can be a ringleader for mischief...so I guess this year will be really telling.
I also got invited to do a joyschool with some neighbors from church, so he goes to 2 preschools, 2 days a week each. I wondered if it might be too much for him, especially since he goes to both on Tuesdays...915 to 1215 and then 1230 to 3, and then sports from 5-6...but he actually really loves it. He is so tired he crawls into bed at 7 and is out!
Here he is outside Rachelle Abbott's door with Abigail Ellsworth and Alexa. Alexa can't wait until it's her turn for school.
So a side note that I really want to remember is how I get around and get Rook to preschool and back without a car. Meshan lived on the street in front of me and it was going to be super easy to drop Rook off and pick up Atticus. But then her landlord stopped paying the mortgage so they had to move out. Is that happening in other states like it is here? It seems like half of our neighborhood is empty and all the students who are renting have to move out within a few weeks notice. It's awful, especially since Meshan had to move several blocks away. So I hook up the bike trailer and take Rook and Alexa to her house...90+ degrees...drop off Rook, pick up Atticus and go back home, uphill. Of course if I go too fast and if I forget to not give Rook milk, he throws up from the ride. Once we're home, Alexa and Atticus play for 3 hours and then I go back and do it again. Sometimes I get a shower in there somewhere.
On 1 of the days Rook goes from Preshool to Joyschool within 15 minutes of each other. So I've tried to get the car on those days, but if you read my last post, that is a major pain since we only have 1 and Joe is often far away. If I don't though, I have to ask a neighbor to pick him up or borrow a car. Both undesirable. Luckily our neighbor Isaac goes to the same preschool and Kelsie can save me on those crazy days. BUT, I still have to get him to Joyschool and pick up a friend on the way. I usually can get them there no problem and come home to put Alexa in bed. On the way to pick them up, I hook up the bike again, only this time I have 3 kids and the trailer only holds 2...so I haul Rook's bike and he gets to ride it home. We drop off Abby and then are home again...dripping sweat again...and then I have to make dinner. Life with 1 car certainly is stressful when I actually have places I have to be everyday...but somehow we make it work. Other joyschool moms have offered to help too, so it's doable, but it seems like I'm in a constant state of rush and exercise.
At Preschool, Rook has learned the days of the week, months, has practiced rhyming and letters, and loves to play music. He tries really hard to get a sticker everyday and loves to do his homework and practices reading 15 minutes everyday. At Joyschool, he has learned 1 letter a week, made applesauce, and gotten to do lots of crafts. One of the moms told me he has mad scissor skills.
A few of the phrases he has picked up since school started..."Let's Rock and Roll" and "Oh, I understand now mom" or "I get it". He loves to recite the poems and songs he learns and I love to see him grow. He also has started playing better with Alexa. Maybe because he has a break from her??? They have been having so much fun lately and haven't fought in over a week. WOW!
This is one of their fun things they did together. When I asked them why they put all the toys on Rook's bed, they said "Because we're going to Disneyland". Yep.
3 comments:
Rook is a smart kid. I think he'll do great in school. A definite leader.
And you are amazing. Biking kids here and there in 90 degree weather. What a workout! You rock!
Oh my! I could never do all your biking adventures. That is some serious dedication for preschool, but I feel the same way - if preschool is important than you do what it takes for your child to go. It was the same for us with Ethan, but financially instead of transportation. And it was oh so worth it for Ethan!
I am tired for you just reading this. How in the world do you do that? You are a better mom than me--I would just say no to school or bust for another car. I am sure you are turning into a woman of steel though hauling those kids. I get tired pushing my double stroller with kids in it right now, so I have extreme compassion for you. Keep it up!
Post a Comment