Monday, May 3, 2010

Mom, I don't want any cavities.

Because you have a cavity right? I mentioned one time that I had a little ouch on one of my teeth and Rook has been obsessed with not getting a cavity. It didn't help that Joe showed him a bunch of pictures of decayed teeth from medical school. The other night Rook was eating an apple, his favorite late night snack, and before he was even done he said, "Mom we have to hurry and brush my teeth. I don't want to get a cavity". Me-"Rook you have to finish your apple first".

Some "Rook" shots from our family photo shoot with Angela Salazar. Her blog is angelasalazarphotography.blogspot.com. She did a great job finding the location I wanted and she gives you all the pictures on a disc so you can print what you want. ALSO what I wanted.



Rook's latest phrase is "Of course...you can. Of course I'd love to pick up my toys. Of course you can ride my bike. Of course Mom, I'd be happy to." It's sooo sweet and I know it won't last long. But I sure do love hearing it.

In this picture, Angela asked Rook to make a serious face. Voila.

In the next picture, she said, Okay, now smile. Voila.

And this is pretty much Rook everyday. One minute he's glaring at me and the next he's tapping me on the shoulder saying, "I love you mom. In fact, I love everyone mom". I figured out that if he's glaring at me, he's not usually mad, he just wants to get a reaction, so I give him one. I usually make the silliest face I can and then he bursts out laughing. Or we pull a pretend key out of our pocket and point it at his face and just start turning. That gets a smile pretty quickly. That's my boy.

Everyday is "watch this mom" over and over again. I honestly can't tell the difference between what he does the first time and the 50th time. It's usually a clap or a jump and I have to get excited the same for all of it.

Rook is already a competitive little boy. Everything is a competition. Sometimes I use it to my advantage when I want him to do something quickly like eat, change his clothes, do his seatbelt, get in the bath, etc. But he has to win or he cries. If he sees anyone is starting to beat him he yells "WAIT!"
Another fun Rook development is his creative storytelling. All day he wants me to tell him a story and then he tells me one. They are pretty creative. Tonight he told me one about a "Dinosaur who threw a snake up in the air and when he looked up, HE SAW THE SNAKE MOM. Can we brush my teeth again?"

6 comments:

Heather said...

Rook is one handsome dude! With so much personality.

Anonymous said...

That would be kinda nice if he kept caring about his teeth right? I love that he pulled that face when she told him to be serious! I think I prolly have some cavities right now. I was thinking about waiting until I go to Albikirky:) I think 2 drinks is more than enough with Alexa.

Anna said...

The always winning thing is so hard - if I try and let Ethan win all the time then what am I teaching him, but if I don't let him win I can't handle the meltdowns! Oh, what to do, what to do? These boys have such a competitive little spirit.

trisha said...

Benj just made me read all the stories about Rook to him out loud. We laughed and laughed. We love Rookie!

The Jones Fam said...

He is such a handsome boy! I love his serious face! You really got some great pictures of both your kids that also capture their personality.

Nate and Eryn said...

That is funny about Rook's teeth. I don't think Nate has ever used that tactic with the kids. I'll have to tell him to show them some decayed teeth photos. We do scare them that they will get holes in their teeth and Daddy will have to drill their teeth. Great photo shoot.