That morning Rook went to play with a neighbor so Alexa and I could be alone. I took off her diaper and helped her learn to put on her unders all by herself. I did this first by helping her teach her dolly how to put on her unders. Then she fed Dolly lots of drinks and helped her go peepee in her own potty. When she went, we cheered and clapped and gave dolly a treat, which Alexa ate. Along the way, Alexa learned to go by herself too and it was a great experience.
Just a few pictures from our training.
Notice Dolly's potty on the table. Alexa insisted on feeding Dolly on the couch...so I put a blanket under Alexa every time.
That first morning, I prompted Alexa to go and set the timer for every 10 minutes. She faithfully sat down every time, though most of the time, nothing came. When it did come, she was so happy she would open her mouth really wide, like I did, to make a super happy face. After Rook got home I let her roam a little more free, but kept setting the timer. She had a couple of accidents when she was playing outside or sitting at the table, but those accidents were so valuable in teaching her to control her bladder.
After 2-3 days she was doing well with peeing, but she seemed to be holding in her poop. So I got out a prize and told her when she pooped, she could have it. She sat down and went. She had held it so long it was difficult for her so I started putting fiber in 1 drink a day and she has been going regularly ever since.

People told me girls were easier to train than boys and I thought, well Rook was pretty easy. Alexa was a princess. I was so proud of how well she did. She even started holding it during naps and the night-time. Problem--waking up at 4 and yelling "NEED TO GO POTTY". So we decided to move her to a bed and hope Rook would do well sharing a room.
People told me girls were easier to train than boys and I thought, well Rook was pretty easy. Alexa was a princess. I was so proud of how well she did. She even started holding it during naps and the night-time. Problem--waking up at 4 and yelling "NEED TO GO POTTY". So we decided to move her to a bed and hope Rook would do well sharing a room.
The first night was rough, because Rook has nightmares and wakes up screaming alot. That first night, I went in while he was screaming and he was still asleep but Alexa was sitting on her bed. She looked at me and said "Rookie screaming". I smiled and told her to go back to bed...and SHE DID. How did I get her? They love sharing a room and our night-time routine has gotten easier since I can read books and cuddle them both at the same time.
I'm so loving this phase of talky-talky relationship building that's going on between these two. I like to stand outside their door and listen to what they say after I leave. They stay in bed pretty well because they want the door left open and that of course is the punishment if they get out...door shut. TORTURE.
7 comments:
Cute, cute, pictures of Alexa! Man am I jealous! Want to potty train Jett for me?
I am SO not looking forward to potty training. I've heard to not even try with boys until they are three. I'm certain Josh isn't ready yet. We'll see how this year goes!
You asked about my blog. A little while ago I got an email from blogger telling me about their new Template Designer. I've enjoyed playing around with it. Click on "Layout" on your blogger dashboard. Somewhere at the top it should say "template designer." Click on that and explore the possibilities! :) Hope that helps.
O.K. so I just checked and I explained it wrong. When blogger sent me that email, they gave me the option of trying the new and improved dashboard. I'm not sure how to access the new dashboard other than through that email. I'll forward it to you if I still have it. Once you are on the new dashboard there is an option to click on "design" (it used to say Layout. Now it's Design.) Then you can click on template design. But I think you have to be using the new dashboard to access those options.
Nice job!! Sounds like she is eager to please you. I wish my kids were that way. They are just eager to please themselves. :) See you in a month!
I'm so glad Alexa is such an easy girl. That makes me happy. I can't believe that little girl is potty-trained! Yippeeeeee!
WOW! She is amazing. Don't you love being out of diapers?!?!
Yeah! I'm soo glad that it all worked out. Isn't it funny how something little like shuting the door is the extreme punishment? Enjoy your diaper free time and all those cute little bed time conversations. : )
Post a Comment