Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Thanks mom for sending the pictures. This is my favorite one of the whole weekend. Dad's asleep on the other couch. My kids had so much fun with Grandma and Grandpa Smith.

Here's the day after Thanksgiving meal. Alexa is eating mac n cheese and Rook needed coaxing to eat his food too. I really was doing this and didn't even realize what I must have looked like until my mom said, "we need to take a picture of that". I was like...what?


My parents brought down a slide I found on KSL. It is perfect for our little backyard and the kids love to play on it.




Joe and Grandpa putting it together.


We went on a little hike through the old railway trail to Hoover dam. We had no idea how long it was or where the tunnels were so we trekked out. IT was a little over a mile to the first tunnel. Rook rode his bike so well...but was pretty tired by the time we got back. Almost 3 miles.




We had a hard time trying to get a picture of us with the wind and lighting and Joe's study schedule. Kelsie made Rook's tie from Angela D's pattern. It turned out so cute.


We had a nice meal with my parents and our neighbors the Mendenhalls. We made all the Smith family favorites and Kelsie brought a Kartchner family tradition too. See recipes below. We had lots of fun and played games as soon the little kids went down for naps.

Yummy Stuffing--way better than normal
small box of wild rice
1 12 oz Jimmy Dean Sage sausage
1 onion chopped
2 c chopped celery
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 pkgs herb seasoned stuffing
5 cups chicken broth

Cook rice. Cook sausage and add onion and celery. Add rice and butter. In a large bowl combine everything. It should be very moist. Bake at 350 until warm. Don't overcook.

Pecan-topped Sweet Potatoes--Tastes like candy
3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 c sugar
1/4 c melted butter
2 eggs, well beaten
1 t vanilla
1/3 c evaporated milk
Mix and put in 2 quart baking dish.

Combine topping and sprinkle on top
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c flour
2 1/2 T butter, melted
1/2 c pecan pieces

Bake at 350 uncovered for 25 minutes.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Cute family pictures! I love catching up on everyone. You do such a good job of consistently posting. I can't think of anything to write, unless I vent about my naughty daughter and then I stop myself because I don't want her reading it. I am seriously close to telling Santa not to bring her any toys. There, I did it, I vented and she won't even see it. Sorry. :)