Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year


IF you think you are looking at a picture of Utah...guess again. It snowed so hard in Las Vegas right before Christmas. It hadn't snowed like this in over 50 years. All the kids in the neighborhood went out to play. School was canceled, but Activity days wasn't...I had to go to the church and open it for the 10-11 year old girls. I wasn't sure I was going to make it up the hill into the parking lot.

Right before we left for Utah, our neighbors and we decided to do a little caroling and spread some holiday candy and pass along cards. It was really fun...mostly because Rook and Isaac were hilarious and only 2 of the 5 people were home. It was so cold and poor Alexa's face was too cold by the time we got back. Too bad you don't live by us...I made caramel popcorn.

We let the boys (Rook and Isaac) do a gift exchange before we left. They kind of got the idea. We were trying to teach them to be excited about giving something they really liked to someone else. Kelsie made 20 bean bags to go with the different colored bowls. I know that took alot of time and she matched all the colors perfectly! Thanks Kelsie!

Joe and his brother John went to the blasted BYU game and John, who drove to SL from Idaho and flew to LV, had to be at the airport around 530 Sunday morning to catch his flight back. Well he got there by 545 and they wouldn't let him on. Darn that Delta. They said he had to be there an hour early and that he would never make his 630 flight. He didn't have any bags to check and the airport was deserted. No refunds. So Joe went back to the airport and got him and we packed up and came straight up to Utah. I loved sitting in the back seat of our car in between 2 car seats the whole time...not to mention that Rook threw up like 5 times. LOVED it.
But about this picture...when we got to Utah, Grandpa Smith went out and bought 2 sleds and we took Rook to a little hill in my parent's neighborhood and he had SOOOO much fun. SO did we.

I love my dad. Thanks for the sleds Grandpa!

Christmas Eve is always a big tadoo at my parent's house. We had 18 adults and 21 grandkids. Most of the kids fit around the kitchen table. Rook was a little overwhelmed I think. Smith (next to Rook in glasses) sat down and said, I don't want to sit by you (Rook) and kicked him. Rook just looked at him like why? Luckily, Smithy's mommy was right there...And I didn't have to beat him up.

After dinner, Kirstyn, my sweet sister who is so super talented and patient and pregnant with her 6th baby, organized a nativity with all the grandkids. They walked along a special tape pathway to the Inn and then to the stable. Rook was a cow, luckily cows fit in no matter where they are. The highlights of the show were Bonnie (20 months) going over and stealing baby Jesus and then sucking on what everyone thought was a ping pong ball, but turned out to be the toilet cap that goes over the bolts on the side. Everyone gasped and then burst out in laughter.

Then we had the grandkids exchange their gifts. My mom does this rotating thing and each grandkid has a different one each year. They get to go and give their present to their cousin. It's really cute. Tyler gave Rook a wooden train set and a tigger coloring book. He LOVES them. He still walks around carrying them everyday. And he's already colored every page in the book...but just keeps coloring them until they are completely covered in color. Alexa got a sweet book from Grant. Everyone had a fun time giving their present I think. Rook picked out a magnetic paperdoll thing for Christopher and a punch balloon. Those are his favorite.
After the grandkids, all the adults get to pass out their gifts. We all give something to everyone. I really like this idea. At first I thought it would be overwhelming to give something to everyone, but it really makes it easier and nobody does giftcards, etc. I made Fall Table runners for everyone and they all really liked them. They didn't cost very much, but they did take alot of time. Tamsyn makes a family calendar. Corwyn and Kelly did a cookie decorating kit. Rustyn and Angela did a spoon set with a poem about being a spoon to serve others. Kirstyn and Jared gave everyone an ornament with a picture of the temple where we were married inside. Alisyn and Ty gave everyone a snowman--all the things needed to make a snowman! Snow not included. It was really cute. They gave us nuts, because typically we don't get snow...Too bad we didn't have that right before Christmas. Brittyn and Becky gave everyone a tile with the words "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" on it and then the words to the new Primary Song on the back. Lauryn and Jonny gave everyone mugs to the Movie Theatres to get drinks for really cheap. Since we don't live up there, they gave us a cool aroma thing with sticks...I don't know what it's called, but our bathroom smells soooo good. Eryn and Nate sewed fleece blankets for everyone. My parents gave everyone a bowl from Africa (Where they just finished serving an 18 month mission) and some great books. They also give all the grandkids band-aids and pajamas.
I hope this isn't soo too long, but I just love this idea and wanted to share it. Whenever I see that tile in the Kitchen, I think of Brittyn and Becky. Whenever I go into the downstairs bathroom, I think of Lauryn and Jonny and so it is with all of the gifts. It's a great way for me to feel my family's love when I am so far away and only see them 2-3 times a year.

Christmas morning was with Joe's parents. It was sooo fun to have kids old enough to make Christmas fun again. Rook was so delighted to see things just for him. He got some new puzzles and markers and a motorcycle. Alexa got that cool ball thing. Notice she is SITTING UP all by herself already. She is so super amazing at 5 months. Joe's parents spoiled all the grandkids with dresses and cars and toys. We had a really nice vacation and felt really loved. This is where our camera died for a few days. I had a great visit with old friends that I'll have to post later.
I have to mention, that Joe spoiled me and got me a mini-van. Our ride home was the best ever!
THANK YOU EVERYONE! We love you.







9 comments:

The LaDuke Justice League said...

Yea for you! I had an internal reluctance to getting a mini-van, but now...I LOVE my mini-van. Only those that have had kids in a car can appreciate the mini-van's many great features such as; no bending over and breaking your back to get the kids in and out; sliding doors with a push of a button. Anyway, you will love it more and more. Fun blog of your holidays. Those are some great ideas.

Anonymous said...

I am sooo glad you got your car! You'll have to post a picture of it. How did you convice Joe. . . ? I loved reading your blog. Even though I saw you a few times, it seems like I missed all of this. Too bad we didn't see you more. It seems we were with my family a lot. Next time we have to make more time. I can't believe Alexa is sitting already!! Oh, and I love my table runner. . . I was hoping you would make us all one. :)

Brandy J. said...

I'm sorry to hear about Rook throwing up in the back seat of the car, but the ever-honest way you recalled it was super funny. I also laughed out loud at the ping pong ball mix up! I'm glad that you had a good holiday overall. The snow was like a little Christmas miracle...bringing a little Utah to you.

Shelby said...

thanks for the update of your holiday. it is so fun when the kids get old enough to get into it too! steve & i were in vegas when the snow came - it was weird to have snow in vegas! congrats on the new van. hope all is well back in vegas. take care.

Anna said...

I just got home from warm sunny Arizona....what?? You got a mini-van. Do tell! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mar it was fun seeing you. I'll try to get out to visit our place. Do you have to pay for rook on the plane now?

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing it was fun to read about your Christmas vacation, especially the throw-up and the "ping-pong" ball mix up- and congrats on the mini-van!

Audrey said...

Sounds like you had a really fun drive to Utah, but an even sweeter one home. Yay for minivans. I never thought I would day dream of a minivan, but I LOVE them. You kids are so cute and your little girl is getting so big.

Tiffany said...

Your Christmas sounded fabulous!