Friday, October 8, 2010

Aren't we all allowed a few "totally DUMB" moments?

So today is my anniversary. Happy Anniversary Joe. Six years we have been married. I can honestly say it's easier now than ever before and that I adore my husband.
I have had a few serious dumb moments since we've been married, most recently with a magic eraser, and I thought they would be fun to share. Joe is ever gracious about them when he "brings them up".
When we were first married, I had a salt shaker and pepper grinder that I got from my job as an incentive for planning summer parties at Lagoon. Well I hadn't had them very long and the pepper worked great, but I could never get very much, if any, salt out. So I was explaining this to Joe one night and he looked at the shaker and said, "well it would help if you took this plastic covering off". I was mortified. So every so often, usually when we have company, and I am doing the salt Joe casually says, "You need help with that salt shaker Mar?"

I had some red suede pillows on our couches when we got married. He referred to them as leather one night and I said, "they're not leather, they're suede". "Suede, isn't leather?" he asked and I adamently said, No. "Or is it". We had a good laugh over that one and occasionally when we are out with friends or shopping, he'll say, "Is that suede?"...so nonchalantly...

Most recently I dyed my hair for the first time by myself. I've had it dyed twice, but I just wanted to touch up my roots and thought, how hard could it be? So I bought my hair color and got all ready and did it. Well, my hair is so long it kept falling down on my neck and shoulders and not until I was done and was waiting the 30 minutes, did I notice I had dye all over my arms, shoulders and neck.



I had heard that you can use Windex and I tried that first and it worked okay, but there were some pretty bad spots so as I put the Windex away, I saw the Magic Eraser and thought..."I wonder"...
So I did it lightly on my hand first and it was amazing...then a little spot on my arm, a few spots on my shoulder and a really bad one on my neck...It worked great...until about 30 minutes later, everywhere that I rubbed was hurting and soon it was red, swollen, and weeping.



Over the next week, it has scabbed over and hurts and itches all the time. While I am typing, I am resisting the urge to scratch the huge, itchy scab on my neck...So when people have asked all week...I say "Road Rash"...then tell the story...Can't wait to hear what Joe makes up for that one. FYI--never use the Magic Eraser on your skin. I'm so glad I figured that out the hard way on myself and not on my kids...

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Katrina said...

It looks like hickeys all over if you ask me ! Are you sure you just didn't have a little fun on you Anniversary? :) Hope you guys have a good one!

Watson Family said...

I love those brainless moments. I have them way too often. One time I went to my bank to cash a check my parents wrote me to go towards my wedding. I had never cashed a check that large so when the teller asked me how I wanted it back I thought, "Well I don't want to carry that many $100 bills." This is how our conversation went next:
Me: How about $500 bills
teller: We don't have $500
me: What, like, your out of $500's
teller: no, like the United States of America doesn't make them.
me: Oh, right. I'll take $100's.

Needless to say I closed that account after getting married:)

Brittany said...

Happy anniversary!
You make me laugh. I hope your neck wound is healing up nicely. :)
BTW I have way more "totally dumb" moments.
Once on my mish I asked my companion how to spell VCR. Can you say brainless! Not sure if I was just so use to speaking in spanish and my brain just couldn't figure it out or if it was just a dumb moment. Most likely the later. :)

Anna said...

Oh my!!!!
Haven't you seen those horrible (forward on to people) emails with photos of kids whose parents used magic erasers on them?? Bad burns. Bad, bad, horrific. Sorry I never forward email messages - I should have forwarded that one.
I loved your other funny examples, but I'm just concerned and having sympathy pain over your magic eraser that I can't focus on anything else. :(

Tiffany said...

How funny! I hate coloring my own hair! Before I got it cut off, it got to the point where it was so thick that two boxes weren't cutting it anymore, so I gave up on coloring it myself. And I'd always get it all over my forehead & neck. Good thing I didn't bust out my magic eraser! Sorry about your "road rash", but I did get a good laugh out of that one! :) xoxo

The Jones Fam said...

Whatever, the one on your neck is totally a hicki! I have those Dumb moments all the time. They seem to increase the longer we are married! Happy Anniversary :)